9.17.2011

Orlando Heart Walk

Today I did something that i honestly never thought I'd do. Today i participated in my very first 5K walk here in Orlando. I had an opportunity through Disney VoluntEARS to participate in a 3 mile walk/run in greater Orlando to raise money for heart disease and stroke. My grandpa died of heart attack nearly 20 years ago and my step-grandpa survived a heart attack this past year. Heart disease runs in my family, so I knew this was going to be a great opportunity to do something that means a lot to me and that hits close to home. Given my medical history however, i thought all hope was lost in ever participating in any kind of walk/race. I wasn't sure if I should even do this walk, but I also thought why not? Why not give it a try? I knew i wouldn't have to run, and I do like to walk, so it seemed like a great opportunity. Besides, I had to do some volunteering for one of my classes and one of my roommates wanted to do the walk as well.


I had so much fun today! I actually did something that i never thought I'd be able to accomplish. It felt so good to participate in something meaningful and not have anyone question whether or not I was okay, whether or not my knees hurt, are you sure you should be doing this, aren't you scared of getting hurt...

I did it. i finished. I feel so good about myself tonight. i even went for another walk tonight! I've always wanted to participate in different events like the breast cancer walk or the american cancer society walk, but I never thought I'd be able to. Now i know i can. For a girl who never should have been able to walk, i think that speaks volumes.


all ready to walk!



just some of the Disney VoluntEARS that were there today.



We had over 15,000 people walking today, and over 1.1 million dollars was raised.



I even got a Duffy the Disney Bear and a flag, among other things today. I can't wait to do my next walk. It feels so good to know that i can do it.

No comments: